Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Bike Designer Indian Larry Dead at 55

Since my brother and I run a Trading Spaces website, we're very much attuned to the goings on on the other shows on many of the Discovery Networks channels. An interesting development has been the ascent of custom motorcycle builders into TV superstars. One such, "Indian Larry" from "The Great Biker Build-Off", died on Monday after injuries sustained in a weekend accident in Charlotte, North Carolina, at the age of 55.

Now I'm not a biker. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager. My wife even looks at me funny when I wear my "American Chopper" boxers. But we note with quite a bit of interest the work of the late Indian Larry (who was introduced by Jesse James of West Coast Choppers fame on an episode of "Monster Garage"), and of course those guys from Rock Tavern, New York, the crew at Orange County Choppers, headed up by the father-and-son team of Paul Teutul Sr. and Jr. (whose star only rises with each visit to Jay Leno), with brother Mikey in able support.

Their bikes are works of art...working within a framework (each bike has to have an engine, a tank, exhaust system, etc.) but they are so creative within those constraints. They look cool and ride like a dream. And there's a lot of bickering in the OCC garage, as it is in any workplace, but the work gets done, and it's quality work. Check em out... and light a candle for Indian Larry.

No comments: