Monday, May 23, 2005

Why I Won't Be Watching The Indy 500 This Year

Mostly because I'm marching in a parade, but I'm a little taken aback by all this media fuss over Danica Patrick.

Where oh where were you people when Sarah Fisher was in the same situation just a few short years ago? She was at Indy. She even won a pole for one Indy Car race. But here comes the infinitely more marketable (read "prettier") Danica, who is driving for owners Bobby Rahal and David Letterman, and everyone wants a piece of her now.

With Sarah in NASCAR now (she's racing the 20 car in the Grand National West series), we'll likely be reading about Sarah winning her fifth Daytona 500 years from now. And then I will say "Told you so."

UPDATE: The Indianapolis Star recently interviewed Sarah, who is going to be tangentially involved with the 500 (as a spotter for a driver whose chief mechanic is Sarah's boyfriend). Her thoughts on Danica Patrick? "When I first started in these things, it was my first job right out of high school. I was just kind of thrown in. I'm happy that (a woman) finally has the opportunity to step in with first-class equipment. I just wish it was me."

So do we, Sarah.

No comments: